Stripe can be set up to store, and later charge, CC details from the following:
- Online bookings on your website
- Walk-in guests by the front desk staff
- Sales channel bookings received in Sirvoy
Stripe also allows you to directly charge cards, at the time of booking on your website booking engine.
Follow these steps to activate Stripe:
- Go to: Settings -> Payments and invoicing -> Card payments and click “Edit”.
- Choose Stripe.com and click the button “Connect with Stripe”.
- You will be redirected to Stripe and asked to verify the connection. If you don’t already have a Stripe account you will be asked to create one. After it has been created, make sure that you confirm the account using the email sent to you by Stripe before proceeding to step 4.
- Once connected, you must also enter your “Secret Key”. Login to Stripe, go to “Developers” and click “API Keys” to find it. Copy and paste the “Live Secret Key”. Make sure no white-spaces or other characters are included before or after the “Live Secret Key”.
- Indicate whether “Card details are optional at time of booking”. If yes, guests will be able to book without entering card details. (Admin users can always leave the fields blank when making new bookings.)
- If you wish to automatically charge guests at the time of the booking, choose settings for this under “Partial prepayment” and/or “Full prepayment”.
- Click “Save” and you’re done!
How Stripe works for storing and later charging credit cards:
- Guests have to enter credit card details in order to complete and guarantee their booking – but the card is not charged.
- Stripe will validate the received card information and make a $1 authorization charge (refunded immediately) that may appear in the guest’s account statement for a short time.
- Credit card details can be added or updated from the booking details page, or through the review-your-booking engine.
- Multiple cards can be added to a booking.
- The card can be charged at any time from the booking details page. Just specify the amount to be charged.
- Multiple charges can be made, for example, partial prepayment and final payment at check-out.
- Partial or full refunds can be made from the booking details page.
- Even though a card is added successfully to Stripe, future charges may still be declined.
How Stripe works for directly charging credit cards:
- Guests have to pay directly at the time of the booking in order to complete the booking.
- Different options are available to force partial (first night/percentage/fixed amount) or full prepayment, also based on how close in time check-in date is.
- Settings for mandatory prepayment only affect the Sirvoy booking engine. Credit card details sent from channels will not be automatically charged. These will be stored for later manual charging instead, whether you force prepayment or not.